Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Sin's Iniquity - Chapter 19.2

Great observation by my wonderful readers. (see last comments to see what I’m referring to)



Let's really analyze this as I did with myself last night while cooking pancakes sausage and eggs for dinner. I've been known to push the buttons before and there ain't no shame in my game of making my readers feel real uncomfortable. If you know me (from Teach Me to Love, Mistaken Identity, Sweet Reunion and especially Diary of A... I can be real kinky and freaky. What would happen if Sinclaire was Mel's daughter for real? That would mean she was having relations with her sister's daddy. That would be pushing the envelope, and cause a major conflict because did Dwight fall in love with Sinclaire because she resembled her mother or because he actually really feels something for her?



Just writing this I realized where the really bad thing in the story has to happen so if I start not to make sense then it's because I'm going to have to do the bad thing I predicted I must do in order to get Dwight to realize who he really is in love with.



You know I just got a complaint that my author notes are becoming longer and longer. I think because I want my readers to know exactly where I'm coming from.



Weird thing: I was lurking today in an I/R group and it was really weird to hear them speak about me. I mean I was endeared with the accolades that they gave me and my writing and I was even honored that someone took the time to criticize my writing.



But I would like to say if you are not pleased by what I write, I'd like you to please let me know offline if you don't want to say it while I'm writing. I really don't mind but sometimes I wonder why do they go and plaster it all over a review site before telling the author first? Maybe because the writing just made them so angry they had to shout it? I guess, but that's life and all I can do is say I can't please everyone.



I've been trying to go through all my work and let readers know when they download anything if there's a unedited version or not. If you bought an e-book that I later edited and you really would like the professional edited version, I don't mind appeasing you to see if that will make you feel better. (But don't be filling my mailbox out for free books cause sistah got bills to pay.)



One reader - and I get this a lot - remarked that my plots are too complicated. Well, I'm a complicated person and nothing is ever just a or b or c with me. I have to go through a lot of spaces commas and subplots and love is never easy. Anything easy ain't worth appreciating and if romance was easy, there would be a lot more people in love, LOL.



I'm basically called a romance writer, because essentially, there is someone falling in love somewhere in my plots. I believe all good stories have a romance element in them. Whether it's for two people, a person and a place, a person and cause, or something that loves something else (speaking of sci-fi or paranormal). But... I am not JUST a romance writer. I am also a suspense writer and I love as many roadblocks as possible in order to achieve a good romance. (I throw I lot of them in there), but I try to keep it as uncomplicated as possible.
Really I do. Now just because you don't catch my red herrings (something intended to divert attention from the real problem or matter at hand; a misleading clue) in the beginning (and I've gotten so good at them that I don't even know I dropped them) I can't help it that by the time you get to the end, you're like oh my gawd, when did that happen, he did what? Oh no that heifer author didn't do that?!



Which of course you will do at this one because even as i write this my brain is coming up with something even more vicous than anything and yes I will spoil it right now and say, I'm going to have to hurt Sinclaire and you won't like me for one bit.



So why do I offer a good story for free? Yeah, I get that question a lot.



It's a long story, but heh, if you're reading this far, I got time.... LOL...



WHY I OFFER FREE BOOKS BY SYLVIA HUBBARD



Long long ago in a planet far away.... okay, that's just corny so here goes... In the process of trying to find a publisher for stealing innocence I received several rejections letters (almost fifty which i did burn because they really made me depressed- but I should have made them into that toilet tissue that lulu offers so I could wipe my butt with them, LOL).



Too long. Too complicated. Too many characters.



I had re-edited the story over and over again trying to appease these people until I finally got the POV right, and got down to under ten main characters. All carefully placed in the story to give you - the reader - a very enjoyable experience.



If you've ever read the book you'll see that it's really good and I love to pick it up and read it every once in a while like I’ve never read it before because its really interesting. (I think I'm my biggest fan).



Anyhoo, I decided if no one else didn't like it, I'd just post it for free because I was reading this article about giving a story away for free. I posted it to my site, but even after sending out a great free book campaign back in 2001 no one downloaded the book. Or at least I thought they didn't.



So I pushed the book on my other writing site into oblivion and didn't think anything about it.
Six months later, I checked my stats on that site instead of just recording the front page stats. I wanted to see all the pages and the ones that my visitors entered on that was popular. This strange oblivion site had gotten over 1800 hits and people in six months had downloaded the book 900 times. That meant half the people visited ended up downloading the book.



Curious, because I had forgotten about this book because I had started to push Stone's Revenge, I checked to see why would anyone be so interested in this oblivion site. Well, people had been leaving comments in the guest book (http://motownwriters.com/steal.html) and the notifications were going to my junk mail so I never knew people were visiting this site. They were saying how great the book was and how they couldn't wait for part 2.



Just because, I finished up the second stealing innocence II: The ravishment and posted that. That's my second best seller which is funny. People get that one because of the first and they say they enjoy both of them. Now of course they are eagerly waiting for stealing innocence III: lethal heart, but Like i said, I really am crossing my fingers on a publisher this year so I can push that one out with them for better distribution and to boost income for the first two books.



As of Jan 1, 2007, stealing Innocence I is not available for free anymore, but after that lesson and after over 20,000 downloads of the book (in the last six years), I said, it was really cool to have it available and to see how people love my writing.



I realized then not to change my style of writing (which is why I told this long boring story) and that people are either going to love my writing or hate my writing and I appreciate both opinions because I know I can't please everyone, but then like myself, I like to be challenged as a reader and even though I love the cinderella story, I don't want you to think you're in one until the end when ...



they live happily ever after.



I'll try to post some more later of Sin's Iniquity.



Enjoy...





THIS POST IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. GO TO: http://www.lulu.com/content/591004



Sin's Iniquity - Chapter 19.2 (c) 2007 Sylvia Hubbard

No comments:

Books

Books
all books by Sylvia Hubbard - collect them all!
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR HOW MANY BOOKS YOU'VE READ BY THIS AUTHOR! SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SIDEBAR AND CAST YOUR VOTES. EVEN IF YOU VOTED, BUT READ MORE, YOU CAN ALWAYS CHANGE YOUR VOTE! VOTE TODAY AND VOTE OFTEN! THANKS

PUBLICIST DONATION

Help Me Pay My Publicist!


Click Here For Details



Or do me one better and buy a book at my bookstore (they make great gifts for all)!:
Sylvia Hubbar'ds Fiction Bookstore


Or pass the word to five friends because word of mouth is the best advertising and the more people that know about me the better chance I have to get that dream publishing deal from that dream publisher. Help a sistah out! Click Here or click the envelope above.
The copyright to the text of the blog is held by the author, where applicable. All images displayed are copyright their respective owners and are used either under licence or under the fair use provisions of international copyright law.